Skip to content

Do Mean People Really Suck?

May 1, 2014

About 30% of us, according to research estimates, fall into the “task” oriented side of behavioral styles. The other 70% fall into the “people” oriented side.

Those of us who are focused on goals, tasks and getting things done are often direct, honest or factual and don’t bother trying to spare people’s feelings. And why should we if we’re telling the truth? We’re really doing others a favor by telling them something they need to know – or so we thought.

On the other hand, individuals who are focused on people, fun and relationships will often do just about anything to avoid having to correct someone, tell the truth or break bad news to them. This includes being evasive, vague, deceptive, withholding information, avoiding, hiding, not showing up and downright lying to someone’s face – all to preserve the need to be liked or perceived as a NICE person.

It seems like a lot of work to me, and very disingenuous. These “people” types are also very sensitive and the first to say “Mean People Suck” when a direct, honest and factual person tells them something they need to hear but don’t want to hear.

Doesn’t calling other people mean actually qualify as an act of being MEAN? And doesn’t this support the case that NICE people suck sometimes too?!

Advertisements
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: